Venous thromboembolism (current) by type - secondary care and mortality data
- Coding system
- Codelist ID
ICD-10 codelist for any history of venous thromboembolism.
This differs from the existing OpenSAFELY codelist incident VTE by including codes that specify the event occured during pregnancy or post partum, and post thrombotic syndrome, and by further clarifying type (site) of VTE.
Codelist to identify people with a history of VTE (in any context including while pregnant).
(1) Identified existing ICD-10 codelists in the OpenSAFELY database for VTE (a) https://codelists.opensafely.org/codelist/opensafely/venous-thromboembolism-icd-10/6e25de26/#full-list (b) https://codelists.opensafely.org/codelist/opensafely/venous-thromboembolic-disease-hospital/2020-10-01/#full-list The second (b) includes all codes in (a) and additionally codes for VTE in unspecified sites, which we'd want to include here. Neither includes any codes relating to pregnancy or postpartum, which we would want to include for a full capture of 'a history of VTE' (c) There's also a codelist specifically for cerebral venous thrombosis which includes CVT from all causes (inc pregnancy, post partum and in the context of sepsis https://codelists.opensafely.org/codelist/opensafely/cerebral-venous-thrombosis-secondary-care-or-mortality/43b72958/ and has been discussed with MHRA and PHE
(2) Searched for existing validated codelists and found list by Sultan et al (reference below).
(3) New search in WHO browser (2019 version) to check for any further codes to consider.
Based codelist on validated codelist by Sultan et al, with additions of - cerebral venous thrombosis codes - post thrombotic syndrome (since we are interested in a history of VTE not incidence) - events specified as in pregnancy or postpartum. - 3-character codes I80, I81 and I26 as all subtypes relevant (other than I800 for superficial thrombosis nested below I80)
Categorised by site aiming for as much consistency as possible with CTV3 codelist https://codelists.opensafely.org/codelist/opensafely/vte-classified-codes/08b94f7d/
Discussion on Github https://github.com/opensafely/codelist-development/issues/92
- Abdul Sultan A, West J, Stephansson O, et al Defining venous thromboembolism and measuring its incidence using Swedish health registries: a nationwide pregnancy cohort studyBMJ Open 2015;5:e008864. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008864
Signed off by
- Helen McDonald, (April 26, 2021)
- Anna Schultze, (April 26, 2021)
|O225||Cerebral venous thrombosis in pregnancy||cvt|
|O873||Cerebral venous thrombosis in the puerperium||cvt|
|G08||Intracranial and intraspinal phlebitis and thrombophlebitis||cvt|
|I636||Cerebral infarction due to cerebral venous thrombosis, nonpyogenic||cvt|
|I676||Nonpyogenic thrombosis of intracranial venous system||cvt|
|I80||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis||dvt|
|I801||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of femoral vein||dvt|
|I802||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of other deep vessels of lower extremities||dvt|
|I803||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of lower extremities, unspecific||dvt|
|O223||Deep phlebothrombosis in pregnancy||dvt|
|O871||Deep phlebothrombosis in the puerperium||dvt|
|I260||Pulmonary embolism with mention of acute cor pulmonale||pe|
|I269||Pulmonary embolism without mention of acute cor pulmonale||pe|
|O082||Embolism following abortion and ectopic and molar pregnancy||pe|
|O882||Obstetric blood-clot embolism||pe|
|I81||Portal vein thrombosis||portal|
|I823||Embolism and thrombosis of renal vein||renal|
|I808||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of other sites||unspecified|
|I809||Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of unspecified site||unspecified|
|I82||Other venous embolism and thrombosis||unspecified|
|I828||Embolism and thrombosis of other specified veins||unspecified|
|I829||Embolism and thrombosis of unspecified vein||unspecified|
|I822||Embolism and thrombosis of vena cava||vc|
Codes not in the full codelist are in faint grey.